Monday, August 3, 2009

Never Take Your Freedom for Granted

Sudan trouser woman 'ready for 40,000 lashes'

The above article is about some Sudanese women who were arrested because of how they dressed; the women dared to wear trousers at a restaurant. Some of the women have already been given 10 lashes, but a couple of the women are challenging the ruling and face the possibility of receiving 40 lashes. Take a look at her outfit. It is very modest and tasteful.

This article falls in line with the topic I plan to use in my Comp classes this fall and possibly this spring. I want my students to think about freedom: defining, analyzing, and exploring the freedoms that they currently have. My plan is that their research paper will look at the lack of freedom that many people experience around the world. My hope is that they will become more aware of the freedoms that they have and that they will never take that freedom for granted.

No comments: