Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Source of True Happiness and a Good Reminder

I was watching Rachel Ray today (or more accurately, listening to her show since I was painting in the kitchen) and she had a young woman on who had lost over 50 pounds within the last year. I believe she is now 16 years old. The young woman credited Rachel Ray's show for giving her the inspiration to lose weight and live a healthier life. While she was on the show, Rachel Ray mentioned that this young woman still feels lonely even after losing all the weight. The girl feels like people still do not care for her, so they played a video of greetings from her home town of various organizations inviting this young woman to join them for some adventures. The mayor even declared it her month (I cannot remember her name).

As I was watching the show, I couldn't help but think that this young woman is still going to be lonely even after meeting all the people in her home town. This young woman thought that losing weight would bring her happiness, but it did not. It really reminded me that "happiness" can only be found in God. It also reminded me that as Christians, we need to be sensitive to the needs of those around us and make sure we are not so wrapped up in our own issues that we fail to reach out to the unsaved. How is this young woman ever going to know true joy if no one reaches out to share the truth with her? My prayer is that God will bring someone into her life to share the truth with her so she will discover true acceptance and belonging and that God will open my eyes to see those around me who are in the same position as this young woman.

No comments: