Monday, September 20, 2010

Dirt and Lava - Saturday, September 18, 2010

These pictures represent a project that I want to complete by the end of the month or the first week of October at the latest.  This pile of dirt and lava rocks have been sitting in our backyard for a couple of years.  The previous owners of our house made some interesting landscaping decisions to say the least.  Unfortunately, they did not lay down any landscape fabric under all the lava rock they placed around the yard (some of this lava rock created a path that actually cut through the yard.  One goal I have for this house is to finally have a nice backyard where we can hang out and kids can play.  Two years ago, I spent the summer digging up the lava rock and dirt so that we could begin the process of planting some grass seed.  Since there was so much rock and dirt to go through, I decided to just create a pile and then go through it later.

Well, later has come.  We need to fill in some uneven patches in our yard, so we want to use what dirt we can from this pile before going out at purchasing some dirt.  This pile will not go away on its own, so I am planning to spend at least thirty minutes a day sorting out the rock in this pile.  I spent almost two hours on it on Saturday and I plan to work on it again on Tuesday.  I figure that little-by-little, it will go away. 

I need to make sure I have a big bottle of ibuprofen handy because my back is already getting stiff from the work that I have done. 

PS If you know someone who would like some inexpensive lava rock, I will soon have a significant pile of it that they can have. 

No comments: