Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Still Learning

For the month of August, I did pretty well with our grocery budget.  I went over a little bit because Dillon's ran some good sales on items that we will use often, so I stocked up on some of the products (I was able to pick up Pillsbury crescent rolls for 70 cents a container!).  Matt reminded me that he is looking for us to average a set amount each month for groceries, so it was okay to go over. 

I recently discovered the blog Money Saving Mom.  Her blog is a good source of information on where to find coupons and how to use them to get the most out of them.  Every week she will post the best deals at various stores.  She is also from Kansas, so many of the sales she highlights are applicable to the area.  On her website I learned about stacking coupons, and when I was at Target I learned that you can stack a manufacturer's coupon with a store coupon.   Today I was able to stack a 75 cent coupon for Ragu with a 50 cent store coupon which means I saved $1.25 instead of just the 75 cents or 50 cents.  I picked up two jars of Ragu for less than $1 per jar. 

I have to keep reminding myself that this new way of shopping and thinking about shopping is going to take time to get used to.  I have done better about making a list and sticking to it, and I am getting out of the habit of buying foods just because they sound good.  It has been fun looking for the good deals and I look forward to the challenges of staying within our budget in the future.

No comments: