Thursday, November 5, 2009

Better Is One Day

One of my favorite worship songs is "Better Is One Day." It's such an awesome reminder that to be in the presence of the Lord will be far greater than the greatest day we ever had.

I have recently been reading through the Psalms and was excited to find the Psalm that this song came from. Psalm 84 is all about how great it will be to be in the presence of the Lord, even if it were for just one day. Verse 4 says, "Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you." The whole idea of praising God for eternity is an aspect of heaven that I don't think we really consider. At one time, the thought to me seemed a little boring. I didn't really care for singing in church when I was younger, so I wondered why we would have to do it in heaven. My attitude has changed since my walk with God has become closer, but when I was doing research for my Master's thesis, I couldn't help but see Mark Twain's point when he couldn't see why Christians were excited to go to heaven when they could hardly get themselves to go to church.

Why is it that we sometimes have to force ourselves to attend church and worship God? Do we really believe that one day in God's courts will be better than a thousand elsewhere?

No comments: