Thursday, March 5, 2009

Eat Your Veggies

In my quest to try and eat healthier, I find that I am still struggling with eating more vegetables. I have gotten better about eating fruit, but working veggies into the daily food intake is still a challenge. I actually like quite a few vegetables, but the problem is that I only like them when they are cooked. I have tried eating raw carrots and celery and broccoli, but I still don't care for the taste. I also do not like ranch dressing, so dipping the said veggies is not really an option.

I am a big fan of salsa, but to eat salsa properly, one needs chips. I could easily sit and eat three or four bowls of On the Border salsa along with a bowl of their chips, but I think eating so many chips kind of defeat the purpose of eating the salsa ;o)

I know that there are quite a few individual portion size microwavable frozen vegetable sides available in the store. I have tried some of them and they are quite good, but then I run into another issue that I have and that is with the impracticality of these options. I hate the thought of paying more for the convenience of these individual serving options as well as the added waste that they create.

I guess that I need to spend more time working on a solution. I think what I need to do is invest in some more microwavable Rubbermaid storage containers and be more proactive and diligent about buying larger bags for frozen veggies and separating them into the containers. Spring break is next week, so maybe I can work out a solution then.

2 comments:

jen_lancaster said...

Check out the book The Sneaky Chef by Missy Chase Lapine (www.thesneakychef.com). Her first book is about sneaking veggies into kids' food, but her second is about sneaking them into more husband-friendly (read adult) cuisine. It's a good way to sneak veggies into the foods you're already eating. And, the best part, you don't notice the difference. Just ask Dwayne. Actually, please *don't* ask him - I don't want him to know my secret!

Anonymous said...

have you tried dipping raw veggies in sweet honey catalina dressing? I think it's much yummier than dipping in ranch. I'm trying to work more veggies into our diet, too. I just learned about the spaghetti squash - have you heard of these things? You just cut it in half and bake it, and it comes out looking and tasting very much like spaghetti noodles! you can put sauce over it, or eat it plain, but I think it's pretty good! I also have a recipe for Veggie Chili that is really good, if you're interested. It's hard to get these veggies in, isn't it?