Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Have You Heard?

Did you hear that Michael Tait will now be singing for the Newsboys in place of Peter Fuler? DC Talk and Newsboys were two of the first Christian music groups I listened to when I first started listening to Christian music. Over the years, I have been impressed with how these two groups have stood the test of time. Of course, the Newsboys have held on a little longer than DC Talk, at least as a group. Since DC Talk has not done any projects together for about 8 years, it is time for them to make the final decision to split. I've enjoyed some of Tait's solo projects (I'm not the biggest Toby Mac fan) and think that he will do a good job as the front man for the Newsboys.

That also reminds me that I was thinking just the other day about how Christian music has evolved over the last 20 years. More songs by Christian groups are being played on mainstream radio, and I find myself missing the music if I don't get a chance to listen to it. Occasionally I might tune into one of the local stations, but the message in most of the music is anything but uplifting. I also get tired of listening to all the commercials (I listen to Air1 which is listener supported). Even though I do not have kids, I still appreciate that I can listen at any time of the day and not have to worry about listening to offensive material. I often find myself pondering the message in many of the songs and there are quite a few out there today that I find particularly insightful. My newest favorite song is by Matthew West "Motions."

No comments: