Thursday, August 25, 2011

Taking Up My Cross -- Daily

I have been reading through the book of Luke in my quiet times, and today I read where Jesus tells His disciples that in order to follow Him, they must take up their cross daily.  He then goes on to talk about the importance of dying to one's self in order to truly live.

While I have heard this passage many times, I don't think that I had ever truly thought about what it means to daily take up my cross.  Lately I have been struggling with feelings of selfishness when it comes to serving my family.  At the end of the day, I get frustrated because I am the only one making dinner and cleaning up the kitchen, knowing that I will have to do it all again the next day.  I've also been frustrated with my husband when he makes plans to be out of the house on the weekend during the little one's nap time, a time that I might like to use to get out of the house as well.

This passage reminds me that life is not about what I want to do and that I have not been making the choice to take up my cross and serve like Jesus served.  I also realized that I am holding on to some elements of my old-self and that these elements will hold me back from a full relationship with Christ.

We have to make the decision daily to take up our cross.  We cannot just do it on the days we feel the walk will be easiest; we have to chose to do it every day. 

No comments: