Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Beautiful People

As we sit here watching an ABC special report on privileged people, I am reminded of my workout at the YMCA this afternoon. Typically, most people dress modestly and since it is not a high price club, there is a nice diverse group of people working out: people who are more athletic and fit than I am, and those who are not (not that I compare myself to others). I often feel pretty good about myself after working out.

Anyway, to the point of my story. After my workout, cool down, and stretch (remember to always stretch), I was walking across the gym and an attractive, fit young woman was walking in front of me. Now, this is not an unusual sight; what bothered me was her outfit. She had on a pair of form-fitting work out pants that sat low on her hips and a double sports bra, so most of her midriff was exposed (along with the cute little tattoo on her hip). Walking behind her, I was able to see the men's reaction. Nearly every man young and old made an effort to look at this woman. Since I was dressed in my old workout capris and a regular t-shirt, I felt frumpier and frumpier the farther we walked.

The young woman certainly had the figure to pull the outfit off, but I wonder why a woman would want so many men to oogle her. I'm not a feminist, but I feel like women like this are not helping the fight for women to not be seen as a sexual object. With all the stories of sexual predators, one would think that all women would make more of an effort to dress a little more modestly. Of course, the trends in Hollywood do not support this effort, so it really should not come as a surprise that women choose to dress this way. Perhaps the YMCA needs to establish a dress code. It is a family center after all.

No comments: