Monday, September 29, 2008

Great Expectations (part two)

Okay, so yesterday's post was pretty deep, so I thought that I would follow it with a more upbeat post. When our pastor mentioned that Jesus will exceed our expectations, I can definitely see examples of that in my life. Number one would be my wonderful husband. We have been married for nearly fourteen years and I wouldn't trade a single day.

Another example is my current job. When I decided to return to school in the fall of 2000 to complete a degree in English simply because I liked to read, I never would have dreamed that I would end up becoming a college English instructor. That job possibility never entered my mind until some of my college professors suggested that I go to grad school. God, in His perfect wisdom, worked out all the details. I am certain that I am exactly where God wants me to be at this time. Of course, if we had been able to have children 12 years ago, I might not have ever made it to this place or it may have taken me longer to get here.

God has a plan, and I know that typically knowing all the details of His plan is not always for the best. Like Sarah, we might try to force the plan to happen sooner than God intends, or like Rebekah, Isaac, Jacob, and Esau, we might try to trick others into making God's plan happen instead of trusting that His plan will be accomplished. Thankfully, God's plan succeeds regardless of our attempts to help it along or change it to meet our desires. We just need to trust that God will accomplish it all in His perfect timing.

No comments: