Thursday, June 30, 2011

Reading Update: Done with the Queen of the Air and on to the Queen of the Empire

I finally finished reading East to the Dawn: The Life of Amelia Earhart.  I must say that Amelia was an amazing woman.  After reading the biography, I can see why she successfully accomplished so much in the world of flying.  She possessed the courage to take risks while having the intelligence to not take foolish risks.  One great example comes from the time she learned to fly.  She did not agree to do her first solo until she had the opportunity to work with experienced pilots who could teach her what to do in any emergency.

It's a shame that she disappeared and we do not know what happened to her and her navigator.  Obviously this mystery adds to the public's admiration of her work, but she earned that admiration even before her attempted and nearly successful flight around the world.

About a month ago, I watched the movie The Young Victoria on a day when the little one had a fever and wanted to be rocked a lot.  In addition to providing new insight into her life, it created in me a desire to read her biography Queen Victoria: A Personal History.  This, too, happens to be a book we already owned. 

I just finished reading about her childhood, and so far her story shows how when God has a plan for someone's life, it will succeed not matter the circumstances that surround that person.  Victoria did not have the most supportive and encouraging mother and her father died at a young age.

Her life is one that I do not think I would have any desire to live and makes me grateful for the simple life I had as a child.

No comments: